Shelter For Life International is seeking 03 Agricultural Field Agents
Shelter For Life International (SFL) is a Christian Relief and Development organization with over 30 years of history in providing humanitarian assistance to post conflict countries. SFL is currently operational in Afghanistan, Liberia, and Senegal. Our Headquarters is located in Minnetonka, MN.
Under USDA/FAS Food For Progress (FFPr), SFL will implement a six year program in Senegal, the Gambia, and Guinea-Bissau with a goal to develop and upgrade value chain linkages necessary to support an integrated regional trade network for the cashew value chain. The proposed program will address these linkages in four program components: (1) market infrastructure, (2) financial services, (3) market access and linkages, and (4) on-farm practices. The “Linking Infrastructure, Finance, and Farms To Cashew” (LIFFT-Cashew) program will create durable trade infrastructure, increase access to financial services, organize and train smallholder farmers to increase production and bargaining power, and build the capacity of local processors to add value to kernels in the SeGaBi cashew production zone of West Africa. As a result, the program will benefit smallholder farmers, a range of processors, and a variety of other businesses along the cashew value chain.
SFL’s mission is to Demonstrate God’s love by enabling people affected by conflict and disaster to restore their lives and rebuild their communities. You can learn more about us at: www.shelter.org.
The main function of the Agriculture Field Agent is to support the organizations of Cashew producers and their members, the nurseymen and the stockists of grafted plants and the service providers to the implementation, to successfully implement the LIFFT CASHEW project.
The Agriculture Field Agent is going to work with the partner designated by SFL for the constitution of his staff and in the villages controlled by the partner for the training of the Cashew intermediaries producers who on their turn, will train the others producers in organization and marketing.
The Agriculture Field Agent will make sure of the relevance of the trainings run by the partner and the intermediaries producers, information on agricultural techniques, good procedures of production, the market and the Cashew marketing system.
The Agriculture Field Agent will be sent in an area or region designated by the project which is the only authority that can change the place of work according to the needs of the moment. This Agriculture Field Agent position requires regular trips on the place of work. The Agriculture Field Agent will have at his disposal a project motorbike in order to facilitate the movement within the designated region or area.
Missions and responsibilities
Implementation Activity and yield monitoring (80%)
- Supplying a technical support to Cashew producers groups, the organizations or partners of the project, particularly in the area of
- Cashew production, best procedures, management, accounting, informations on strategic marketing, recommended by the Department of Agriculture.
- Conducting identification /or checking of the producers organizations list, nurserymen, community plantations, marketing agents, transformers, service providers and demonstration sites proposed by SFL in order to list the number of each zone.
- Coordinating the activities of the project at a local level : supervision of raising awerness activities /community mobilization, training, visits of éxchange, SFL/Government/backers visits, the marketing of cashew almond through fairs and shows.
- Anticipating and informing if necessary the Responsible in Agriculture early, in order to ensure an effective planning.
- Monitoring community plantations, the nurserymen and the demonstrations sites in the targeted areas by the project.
- Supporting private operators, the cashew producers, the transformers and the nurserymen in building and reinforcing partnerships and the relationships between enterprises for their sales and and the increase of their incomes;
- Helping the producers organizations and the transformers to reinforce their networks of production and the supply of services to their members (consolidation of the production, the creation of partnerships with the buyers and the factories,) ;
- Collecting monitoring data in collaboration with the Monitoring & Evaluation team for the project management, in order to facilitate the sharing of information, to ensure that the actors and the partners of the Cashew field get all the right information as well.
Project management (20 %)
- Implementing the adminitrative demands of repports by following SFL procedures of management. Participating to the periodical controls as stipulated in the project work plan.
- Facilitating the logistical organization for the missions of the project staff, the government agents and the backers.
- Contributing to the designing of detailled annual activities plans of the the project.
- Helping the partners organizations and the Cashew producers to use and be able to fill out the files and the data collection tools and to ensure that SFL administration get all the information;
Education Experience and Skills / Required Profile
- Degree or diploma in connection with the field (or work experience matching a diploma) ; in agricultural sciences, agrobusiness or in économics.
- At least 5 years of work experience on agriculture programmes and the agro-industry
- At least 5 years of work experience with the farmers and the farmers organizations
- Experience with projects executed by the NGO or International Organizations.
- A high level of integrity and a pleasant aptitude are desirable in building appropriate internal and external relationships.
- A perfect command of French and basics in English or in Portuguese written and spoken are desirable
- At least two local languages are necessary (mandinka, diola,Fulani, Wolof, Creol etc.)
- Knowing the agricultural techniques of production, cashew grafting techniques and agricultural transformations (particularly cashew nut), agricultural popularization and a good approach of business development.
- Having a proven and demonstrated capacity to ride a motorbike in complete safety with a valide motorbike driving license.
- Proven capacity in building effective interpersonal relationships, working with the farmers organizations représentatives, the SFL staff, the farmers, the transformers, the technical departments of the government , the traders and the service providers.
- Having a proven capacity to manage complex situations and multiple activities at the same time.
- Having proven abilities in networking, teambuilding, in organisation and communication.
- Being respectful and constructive when she/He is dealing with the partners and the project staff.
- Being open to contradictions and respond positively to the remarks.
The female applications are encouraged
How to apply
To apply, please send your Resumé/ CV and cover letter to [email protected] no later than Decembre, 10 2018 your email subject line should be Agricultural Field Agent please.
Only citizens from Senegal, Gambia and Guinea-Bissau will be accepted.
Shelter For Life International is seeking 03 Agricultural Field Agents
Vous pouvez postuler à cette offre en cliquant sur le bouton “Postuler” ci-dessous.
NB : Ne payer, EN AUCUN CAS, des sommes d’argent aux recruteurs utilisant la plateforme EmploiDakar.com
EmploiDakar.com décline toute responsabilité quant aux préjudices pouvant découler de ces agissements et se réserve le droit de poursuivre les auteurs.