UNOPS is searching to hire a Information Management Expert.
- Information Management Expert (UNOPS LICA-10)
- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Regional Representations for West Africa
- Duty station: Dakar, Senegal
- Section/Unit: Asylum & Migration Unit, Protection
- Duration: Full time, 2 May 2019 through 31 December 2019
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist displaced people around the world and to help find durable solutions for them. Set up in 1950, UNHCR has since helped tens of millions of people forced to flee their homes to escape war or persecution. Today, over 16,700 people are working in 138 countries, as the number of displaced people worldwide – 68.5 million in 2017 – is at the highest level since the establishment of the Agency. Among them are nearly 25.4 million refugees, over half of whom are under the age of 18. There are also an estimated 10 million stateless people who have been denied a nationality and access to basic rights such as education, healthcare, employment and freedom of movement.
West Africa has always been a place of significant mobility and mixing of populations. Over the years, most countries in the region having become countries of origin, transit and/or destination of mixed population movements, which include refugees, asylum-seekers, stateless persons and persons at risk of statelessness. The increased scope and complexity of the movements have created severe protection risks for persons within these flows, both within West Africa and en route to Europe, including documented arbitrary and prolonged detention in inhumane conditions, torture, extra-judicial killings, SGBV, extortion, trafficking and other forms of exploitation and serious abuses, which women and unaccompanied/separated minors are particularly exposed to.
Sound data and analysis, including on profiles and protection risks and incidents, is essential to design appropriate protection responses. The irregular nature of movements and routes hampers systematic information and trends tracking, while several regional data collection initiatives provide indicative qualitative and quantitative data on mixed movements in certain countries and regions. Effective information and data management at the regional and field levels is essential for sound operational planning and programming. With the increased prominence of mixed movements in UNHCR’s work, UNHCR Regional Representation for West Africa (RRWA) is temporally strengthening its Information Management capacity in the field of Mixed Movements to support, regionally and at country levels, the identification of persons of concern to UNHCR within mixed flows, coordination with stakeholders and establishment of good data management practices when responding to mixed movements situations.
Purpose and Scope of the Assignment
The strategic interventions for mixed movements, including UNHCR’s Central Mediterranean Route Strategy and regional priorities, place quality and relevant data and analytics as key elements to strengthen protection environment in West Africa. The incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks relating to establishment of internal IM systems concerning persons of concern on the move in coordination with UNHCR colleagues as well as partners:
- Explore secondary data through research;
- Develop sustainable and reliable data collection systems, including protection monitoring undertaken by Red Cross Red Crescent National Societies, which ensure UNHCR data protection norm;
- Design capacity strengthening sessions for data collectors;
- Implement data collection in Field Operations and ensure data quality;
- Maintain relevant database and spearhead data analysis;
- Prepare data visualization respecting UNHCR branding;
- Assist in document designing;
- Explore information sharing platforms to targeted audiences and ensure dissemination; and
- Travel as necessary to support colleagues and partners in field
Under the supervision of the Asylum & Migration Unit in the UNHCR Regional Representation for West Africa, and under the functional supervision of the Senior Regional Information Management Officer, the incumbent will have following outputs in relation to persons of concern within mixed movements in West Africa:
- A systematized collection of secondary data publications and partners;
- Updated list of relevant IM partners and contacts;
- A data gap analysis identified from secondary data review;
- Operational data collection (or protection monitoring) systems, including questionnaire, data collection tools, data storage system and feedback mechanism from data collectors in field are developed;
- Capacity strengthening training for data collectors and their supervisors in adequate languages;
- Database with quality data from field-based protection monitoring projects is established and maintained;
- Statistical and visualized data (i.e. Adobe, Excel, Power BI, ArcGIS) produced in line with UNHCR Brand book;
Periodic reports on data collection and monitoring progress and findings;
- Updated UNHCR operational data portal; and
- UNHCR publications related to Asylum and Migration uploaded on partner websites (Relief web, IDMC, humanitarian response, etc.).
Qualifications and experience
- University degree with certificate/training in information technology, demography, statistics, social sciences or any related area.
- At least 6 years of relevant work experience.
- Advanced Excel skills (e.g. pivot tables, functions, etc.);
- Software proficiency including Kobo, PowerBI and ArcGIS;
- Design proficiency using Adobe software;
- Experience in handling confidential data;
- Successful completion of ‘Conducting Needs Assessments’ eLearning.
- Essential – High proficiency in English or French.
- Good working knowledge of the other is desirable.
- Successful participation in the Operational Data Management Learning Programme;
- Experience in web design and software development;
- Knowledge on HTML, PHP, ASP and/or Java;
- Skills to analyze statistical information.
Please send an email with the exact job title in the subject line. Attach your CV in the PHF format to be downloaded here https://unhcr.org/recruit/UNHCR_Personal_History_Form.docm#_ga=2.2314113… to [email protected] by 12 April 2019 (midnight Dakar time).
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.
Très important : Méfiez vous des arnaques ! Vous ne devez payer, en aucun cas, des sommes d’argent aux recruteurs utilisant la plateforme EmploiDakar.com